Poster Thread
  •  Phillio
      Phillio
Re: Strange, Funny But True.
Home away from home
From St.Helens
Group:
'Man' gives birth - again

A US man who was born a woman before undergoing gender realignment surgery has given birth to his second child.

Thomas Beatie, who is legally male but decided to keep his female sex organs, attracted worldwide headlines last year after revealing his first pregnancy.

The 35-year-old gave birth to a baby girl in Oregon last July and this week celebrated the arrival of a baby boy, ABC News reports.

Mr Beatie was last year dubbed the 'pregnant man' after appearing on Oprah Winfrey's talk show to discuss his pregnancy.

"I feel it's not a male or female desire to have a child. It's a human need. I'm a person and I have the right to have a biological child," he said.

Mr Beatie revealed that he'd been "shocked" by the amount of publicity the couple had received, insisting they were just like any other family.

"We are a man, woman and child. It's ironic that we are so different but yet, we're just a family, just the same as anyone else," he said.

When asked why he made many people uneasy, he said, "I think that people are not used to seeing the image of a pregnant man."
Posted on: 10/6/09 13:39
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  Phillio
      Phillio
Home away from home
From St.Helens
Group:
Mayor calls for Freddie Mercury comeback gig

The Mayor of Zagreb has called for Freddie Mercury to make a comeback gig in the Croatian capital.

Speaking on national television about his musical preferences, Milan Bandic said he wanted to attract rock legends to the city.

"I would like to see David Bowie play in Zagreb. And Freddie Mercury could come, too," he said.

Mayor Bandic reportedly seemed shocked to be told that the Queen frontman had died 18 years ago.

The mistake caused shock among many Croatians but Bandic himself shrugged off the gaffe.

His prospects in the second round of local elections to be held this Sunday seem to have been unharmed with political pundits expecting him to get a new mandate.

Zagreb resident Mirjana Popovic said: "It might seem he is a little bit out of touch when he says things like this but he is the right man for mayor."
Posted on: 17/6/09 14:37
  •  Phillio
      Phillio
Home away from home
From St.Helens
Group:
Chimp makes monkey of zoo boss

A zoo director who banned keepers from feeding animals by hand has had his finger bitten off by a chimp.

Germany's Berlin Zoo had banned keepers from ever feeding wildlife by hand after a series of accidents.

But Bernhard Blaszkiewitz forgot his own rule while showing VIPs around and offered chimp Pedro some fruit through the bars.

The chimp grabbed the zoo boss's hand and bit his index finger so hard it was left hanging by just a flap of skin.

"He has only himself to blame. We're all banned from doing that sort of thing and that chimp is known to be very aggressive. He's lucky Pedro didn't eat it," said one keeper.

Blaszkiewitz, 55, was rushed to hospital where doctors performed a two hour operation to sew the finger back on.

Dr Andreas Eisenschenk said: "There is only a small chance of success. It is very complicated and there is a high risk of infection from the bite."
Posted on: 17/6/09 14:42
  •  Phillio
      Phillio
Home away from home
From St.Helens
Group:
Woman throws out 500,000

An Israeli woman threw out her elderly mum's old mattress - not realising it was stuffed with 500,000.

When she learned the truth she dashed outside but was too late to stop workers taking it away, reports the Daily Mirror.

The Tel Aviv woman, known only as Anat, who had treated her mum to a new mattress, is now frantically searching local tips for the cash.

Dump manager Yitzhak Borba told Israeli Army Radio his staff were helping her and that she appeared "totally desperate".

He said 2,500 tons of rubbish arrive at the site every day. Mr Borba even increased security to keep out treasure hunters who had heard Anat's story.

The woman's mother had stashed away her life savings in US dollars and Israeli shekels after "a traumatic experience with banks".

Anat remained hopeful but, prepared for the worst, she said: "People have to take everything in proportion and thank God for the good and the bad."
Posted on: 17/6/09 14:43
  •  Phillio
      Phillio
Home away from home
From St.Helens
Group:
Teen wakes up seeing stars

A Belgian teenager is suing a tattooist for 10,000 after claiming she woke up with 56 stars on her face.

Kimberley Vlaminck, 18, claims Rouslan Toumaniantz spoke such bad English and French that he misunderstood her at the Tattoo Boy studio in Courtrai, Belgium.

She claims she fell asleep while the tattooist went to work and woke up to find 56 stars on her face.

"It is horrible," sobbed Kimberley. "He has turned me into a freak. I can't go out on the street now without people looking at me."

However, Mr Toumaniantz insists she "got what she wanted" - and only complained when her dad got angry and her boyfriend dumped her.

Miss Vlaminch wants compensation to undergo laser treatment to remove the tattoos, but even after the treatment - that will cost upwards of 10,000 Euros, she is likely to be left with scars for life.
Posted on: 17/6/09 14:46
  •  Phillio
      Phillio
Home away from home
From St.Helens
Group:
Road rage driver bit pedestrian

A road rage driver bit a pedestrian in Romania because he took too long to cross the road.

Mihai Nicoara, 36, told police the furious motorist leapt from his car and sunk his teeth into his belly at a crossing in Iasi.

"He just shouted at me and then grabbed me by the belly with his teeth. He tore my shirt and I have a pretty nasty wound now," he said.

Police say driver Radu Becali is now being charged with assault for the attack.

But Nicoara has vowed to hurry up crossing roads in the future.

"I didn't ever think I was slow at crossing the road. But drivers often beep their horns at me and I just thought they were being friendly," he said.

"Now I'll make sure I never dawdle again," he added.
Posted on: 23/6/09 14:31
  •  Phillio
      Phillio
Home away from home
From St.Helens
Group:
Man digs 50ft hole to fish - in his kitchen

A Chinese farmer dug a 50ft hole inside his house to go fishing.

Li Huiyan, of Chongqing, hired 30 villagers for six months to dig the hole in his kitchen, reports IC Media.

He wanted to reach an underground river which he suspected was full of fish.

The river had been over ground but had disappeared 30 years ago when the local authorities bombed part of a mountain to pave a road.

Li explained: "The river used to have so many fish, and by simply putting a net there, hundreds of fish would be caught."

After digging his pit down to the river, Li installed a fishing net across it and regularly hauls out fish, so far earning his family nearly 2,000.

"I sell the fish at a wholesale price of 24 yuan (2.15p) per kilo, but 36 yuan (3.20p) per kilo for retail," he said.

Li built ladders from his kitchen to the river 16 metres below, and each day he has to go down to check the harvest.
Posted on: 23/6/09 18:29
  •  Phillio
      Phillio
Home away from home
From St.Helens
Group:
Student wakes up in 150ft crane cab

An Austrian student woke up in the cab of a 150-foot-high crane after a night boozing with friends.

Stefan Hohenwart, 28, told police he had no idea how he got up there when they found him after construction workers called them in Graz.

Officers said he was driven home and would face no charges since he had not caused any damage.

A police spokesman said: "The construction workers turned up to start in the morning and the crane operator got quite a surprise when he went up and found the student snoring away in his cab.

"When our officers got there and get the man down he swore he had no idea how he got up there and just remembers leaving the pub and feeling very tired."

The spokesman added: "Going up 150 feet into the crane cab can be a risky undertaking at the best of times, let alone after a heavy drinking session. This man was very lucky he got up there safely."
Posted on: 23/6/09 18:30
  •  Phillio
      Phillio
Home away from home
From St.Helens
Group:
Police scarecrow arrested

A joke scarecrow dressed as a policeman with a fake speed radar gun was arrested by a real officer.

The 7ft tall scarecrow was put on the roadside to promote a village scarecrow festival while also encouraging motorists to slow down, reports the Daily Telegraph.

However, a passing policewoman thought it "inappropriate" and took it away in her patrol car within four hours of it being put up in Brancaster, Norfolk.

The scarecrow was reported stolen by festival organiser Miranda Skillings, 56, who had got permission from police to put up the fake traffic officer.

After three hours Norfolk Police located the scarecrow and an officer was sent to replace it - without the fake speed gun.

Mrs Skillings said: "We always put up a couple of scarecrows early to encourage people to take part and this year we decided to make a policeman with a speed gun.

"I thought it would have the added benefit of slowing down motorists who come speeding through the village."

Insp Dave Buckley said: "We gave permission for the organisers to create a scarecrow of a police officer - but the owner of the scarecrow used a plastic drinks bottle to symbolise a speed radar gun.

"As a result an officer removed the scarecrow as it portrayed an incorrect and inappropriate message to passing motorists.

"Speed radars are used to prevent casualties on our roads and to address the irresponsible actions of motorists. They should not be re-created by the roadside in jest."
Posted on: 9/7/09 12:46
  •  Phillio
      Phillio
Home away from home
From St.Helens
Group:
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang banned

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang has been banned from a lord mayor's procession - for not having an MoT.

Thousands of people were looking forward to seeing the famous movie car in Norwich, reports The Sun.

But police said they would not bend the rules - even though the road will be closed for the parade.

Police pokesman Harry Mitchell said: "Our priority is the safety of the public and we cannot make exceptions."

Helen Selleck, the city council's events manager, said: "Although the road is closed for the procession, it is still classed as a public highway and the DVLA is clear that all vehicles in the procession need to be fully covered."

The car was due to be displayed by Norwich's Theatre Royal. Spokesman John Bultitude said: "We are very disappointed Chitty will not be seen on the streets."
Posted on: 9/7/09 12:48
  •  Phillio
      Phillio
Home away from home
From St.Helens
Group:
Girl called Chicken Dung changes her name

A Chinese girl who was named 'Chicken Dung' has had it legally changed now that she is an adult.

Zhu Xiansheng, the father of the girl, gave her the name on the advice of a doctor after she was ill as a baby and chicken manure was used to treat her.

She was named Ji Shi, which means Chicken Dung, but always hated the name, reports the Southwest Morning Post.

However, she was stuck with it until she was 18, the legal age for name changing in China, when she changed it to Yingzi.

"At last, she is no longer afraid to show anybody her ID card," said her father, of Lindong village, Fujian province.

"She had a serious illness when she was one, and she was sick for two to three months.

"We didn't think she would survive, but a local medical practitioner advised us to paste her with chicken dung while taking medications he prescribed," added Xiansheng.

The girl made a miraculous recovery and her parents formally named her Chicken Dung in tribute to her treatment.

But she hated the name and pleaded with her parents to change it from age of five when she would throw tantrums whenever anybody called her name.

"I always felt embarrassed when filling in forms or signing my name," said Yingzi.
Posted on: 9/7/09 12:49
  •  Phillio
      Phillio
Home away from home
From St.Helens
Group:
'Pool got my daughter pregnant'

A Polish mum is suing an Egyptian hotel after claiming her daughter got pregnant using their mixed swimming pool.

The bizarre claim surfaced as Magdalena Kwiatkowska demanded compensation after her 13-year-old daughter came back from the family holiday expecting a baby.

Tourist authorities in Warsaw confirmed they had received the complaint which states that the girl conceived because of stray sperm in the pool.

"The mother is adamant that her daughter didn't meet any boys while she was there and is determined to go ahead with the case," said one travel industry source.
Posted on: 9/7/09 12:50
  •  Phillio
      Phillio
Home away from home
From St.Helens
Group:
Beatles tattoo ends lonely hearts club

An East Sussex couple have told how they discovered that all you need is love - thanks to The Beatles

Jean Davies met Kevin Robinson when she spotted his massive Fab Four tattoo as she sang a Beatles song.

Jean and her friend Freda, both widows, were walking along Hastings beach after their weekly aqua aerobics class.

"'All we need is a bit of love,' I said to Freda. 'Isn't that a Beatles song?' she replied. We both laughed and started singing 'All You Need Is Love'," said Jean.

As she was singing, a shirtless man lying nearby with a colourful tattoo on his back caught Jean's eye.

As she looked closer she recognised four familiar faces - John, Ringo, Paul and George. Underneath were the words 'Lonely Hearts Club'.

Kevin and Jean soon got chatting and she discovered that he was a divorced carpet fitter who, unsurprisingly, was a massive Beatles fan.

During their conversation she mentioned the aerobics class that she and Freda attended each week and the next time she went she found Kevin waiting outside in his car for her.

"I gave Kevin my phone number and we started seeing each other more and more. Our friendship soon blossomed into love and for the first time in years, I had a spring in my step again," she said.

"When I told Kevin about how I'd been chatting to Freda about the Beatles when I first saw him, he agreed with me that out meeting must be fate."

Jean and Kevin have now been together for three years and have moved to Norfolk and started a new life together.
Posted on: 9/7/09 12:52
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
<12345

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.
 You cannot post without approval.

Advertise
keep calm and advertise here
Search
Adverts
Site Info
Blogs

Copyright 2008 - 2015 by St Helens Now  | Produced by Barry Grady | Powered by XOOPS 2.0  |  Theme by 7dana.com